We received some news from the Snipe camp yesterday. They have to cancel their Kickstarter due to the conflict going on in their home country of Israel. The problems going on there have been preventing Snipe’s contributors from being able to work on the project and spreading word about it.
This is unfortunate, but once things settle down a bit, they’ve said:
“We plan to regroup, reevaluate, and prepare ourselves for a relaunch! At the same time we’ll work around the clock to improve the SNIPE gear and game features, in order to create a one-of-a-kind gaming experience.”
As soon as they do re-launch their Kickstarter we will be certain to let you know. Mr. S and I hope that the Snipe team and their families remain safe in this chaos.
We’ve just received word of this interesting licensed accessory for tactical rails! The Nerf TekStrike is from EyeSpyToys, a company that
I’ve never heard of was apparently behind Launch n’ Attack (thanks Vas of F2A), and who’s company website is currently just showing off this accessory. Check out FoamFromAbove for some photos of the ToyFair Booth, and here’s the media information directly from EyeSpyToys:
Nerf TekStrike from EyeSpy Toys is an exciting new attachment for NERF blasters. With programmable Smart Darts, patented hit recognition technology and Bluetooth connectivity, Nerf TekStrike turns the backyard into an advanced wireless playing field.
- The Nerf TekStrike Storm Shield attaches to any NERF blaster’s tactical rail and casts an invisible sensory grid over the entire playing field.
- The Nerf TekStrike system works with Smart Darts, which each contain a programmable RFID chip.
- Using Bluetooth and RFID technology, the Smart Darts can be tracked. As a dart hits the Storm Shield, the type of ammo it was hit with and who the shooter was, are recorded, displaying the damage on the built-in LCD screen and sending the appropriate HIT points to the shooter’s screen.
- To start playing, select an ammo type, wirelessly program the Smart Darts by swiping against the Nerf TekStrike Storm Shield and then begin firing at the opponents shield, instantaneously being alerted of successful shots.
- The single player training mode allows individuals to improve their accuracy to get ready for the next battle.
- When players are ready for advanced battle scenarios, they can use a smart phone or tablet as a remote base to unlock new weapons, track team stats and select mission objectives – all available with the free Nerf TekStrike app download.
- For the full video game experience, players can attach a smart phone to the Nerf TekStrike Storm Shield for GPS tracking, blaster upgrades, accuracy stats and more!
Pricing / Availability
- Suggested Retail Price: $24.99
- Includes the Nerf TekStrike Storm Shield and 10 Smart Darts
- Availability: August, 2014
- Recommended Age: 8+
This, to me, is incredibly strange. Not that Hasbro is allowing Tactical rail accessories, we’ve known they might allow 3rd party licensing of tactical rail accessories for a little while now. But that it uses Bluetooth and RFID to track darts and sense them. This is basically a re-vamped, 3rd party dart tag device. And the weird thing is that it’s relatively inexpensive considering the technology involved.